This is a repeating eventoctober 18, 2023 6:00 pm
Spill: MONUMENTAL CONSTRUCTIONS WORKSHOPS
We’re looking for people of all ages 9+ to join our community build team, as we construct Wolsey’s Gate out of cardboard boxes for SPILL
We’re looking for people of all ages 9+ to join our community build team, as we construct Wolsey’s Gate out of cardboard boxes for SPILL Festival 2023! Our big building workshops will take place 14:00-17:30 and 18:00-21:30 on Wednesday 18th, 14:00-17:30 Thursday 19th (FULL) and 14:00-17:30 Friday 20th October 2023. The workshops will take place in Ipswich Town Hall, and will be £2.50 per person to attend. Book through the link and find out more about the project on this page.
Group rates are available for these workshops.
If you’d like to bring your group along, email email@example.com.
WHAT IS MONUMENTAL CONSTRUCTIONS?
Since 2003, artist Olivier Grossetête has built his Monumental Constructions made from Cardboard across the world. He has created more than 200 different constructions, visiting five continents and recruited thousands of people in his adventures made of cardboard and tape.
For SPILL Festival, Olivier is visiting Ipswich for the first time and inviting you to build Wolsey’s Gate and be part of the Monumental Constructions Build team.
This architectural and participatory project invites you to take part in an artistic and human adventure: adults, children, older people are invited to be part of the Monumental Structure workshops. During the workshop you will work alongside the artist, his team and your peers to bring Wolsey’s Gate, of the never completed Wolsey’s College back to life. Together we will build the blocks and frames to create Olivier’s bespoke architectural design.
We will create and build our Monumental Structure without any machines, just the artist alongside hundreds of local participants. The monument can go up to 25 meters (82 feet), be made of 1,500 cardboard boxes, and weigh more than a ton and a half!
WHAT WILL HAPPEN IN THE WORKSHOPS?
On arrival at the workshop you will be welcomed to the workshop space and have a short presentation of photos and a video of the artist’s career and creations. The artistic team will talk you through the construction plans and show you how the Monument is constructed. You will be shown cuts and joints and what is needed for the final installation. With the artistic team, you will start to create the specific parts according to the plans to build different elements such as doors, arches etc. Finally you will store the created parts for the grand Construction day on Saturday 21st October. Be sure to come back for that!
WHO CAN TAKE PART?
- All workshops are suitable for children over 9 years+ of age and for people with additional needs.
- All children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult /legal guardian and will not be permitted to stay at the workshop space alone.
- The venue and site are wheelchair accessible.
WHEN CAN I GET INVOLVED?
- Build workshops take place 2-5.30pm and 6-9.30pm Wednesday 18th, Thursday 19th (FULL) and 2-5.30pm Friday 20th October 2023 in the Grand Hall, Ipswich Town Hall. The sessions open to the public are Wednesday 18th, Thursday 19th and Friday 20th 2pm – 5.30pm.
- The CONSTRUCTION takes place on Saturday 21st October between 9am and 6pm on the Cornhill. There is no need to book and you can join us for as long or as short as you want.
- The DECONSTRUCTION where we celebrate our Monument and collectively and joyfully destroy it together takes places on Sunday 22nd October from 4pm on the Cornhill.
(Wednesday) 2:00 pm - 5:30 pm(GMT+01:00)